.. h/t John Smart
Now and then I think of that election day, November When you won I felt so happy I could die Chugged a fifth, paraded in the street And I thanked God that Palin wasn’t Veep It felt like change and it’s a hope I still remember
You can get addicted to a certain kind of message Like this is change we can believe in, yes we can But college ended, had to pay my rent At least you’re the first gay president But the change I got was that I moved in with my mother
Because you won and then you cut me off Now your speeches never soar as high as unemployment You took Obamacare so far But you left me like a dog strapped on Romney’s car Even the shirt that was on my back Is owned by China or being arbitraged by Goldman Sachs Just send in a Predator Drone ‘Cause now you’re not Obama that I used to know
Now you’re not Obama that I used to know Now I need Obama that I used to know
Sometimes I think that Peace Prize winners shouldn’t have a kill list But you dumped Bin Laden in the sea so maybe it’s all good Said you’d rouse my economy Your big package didn’t stimulate me Still my American Idol, though When you sang, “I’m so in love with you”…Obama that I used to know
But you won and then you cut me off Made out like you’d close Guantanamo and we got nothing Relocation shouldn’t be that hard Just strap the prisoners in on top of Romney’s car No, I don’t need you to legalize Just keep the feds away from folks like you when you were younger There’s nothing that you didn’t toke But now that’s just Obama that I used to know
Obama That I used to know Obama That I used to know Obama That I used to know
In 2012 I need Obama that I used to know
Pretty creative, no? Do you think there’s any symbolism intended by the two people becoming part of the Obama mural, pulling away, and then becoming part of it again at the end of the song? On the thread that John Smart posted this video, a commenter named fembotsforObama posted this comment:
I loved how the supporters are part of the sign, are trying to break from the sign, and then become slowly reabsorbed into the sign.s They can’t escape.
So why can’t they “escape”? One thing it suggests to me is that their identities became so intertwined with their perception of who Obama was – basically, with the symbolism of Obama’s media-fueled public persona itself.
I’m so glad so many people are waking up to the empty suit, politician (ie, liar), and opportunist that is Obama. But what gets me, and it’s exemplified by this video, is that so many of them seem to think that Obama has changed! They want back the Obama that “they used to know”. Really? When Obama came on the scene, they researched him, knowing that the best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior? And their research showed him to be all that they thought that he was? It wasn’t just words??? They had evidence, a history of behavior that assured them how he would act in the future, that comforted them that they knew who he was?
Nonsense. They didn’t bother to look into the history or reality of Obama at all. If they made any attempt, they just listened to OLDER words he uttered – nothing about actions. They had some differing reasons, for sure – he was black, he wasn’t a woman, he was HISTORIC (oh wait, that’s synonymous with “black” – and ONLY “black”), he was cool, he was young. But I think for most, a shared underlying reason was that the speeches someone was writing for him to read off his teleprompters made them feel good about themselves. Yes, by him tooting his own narcissistic, non-reality-based horn, they thought they themselves were special. He was high on himself, they got high on him and themselves. He felt good, they felt good. Face it, it was just one big drugged up orgy!
So maybe another reason these obots can’t fully escape the Obama mural/world is because they can’t accept that he was never what they thought he was. If he changed, as they imply in this video, then it’s his fault that he isn’t living up to his words – not their fault for not vetting him. Not their fault for choosing an orgy over a sober, adult appraisal of a potential leader of the free world. If they truly accepted responsibility for their poor judgment and adolescent approach to making important decisions, they could walk away from the mural. Some OA meetings – Obots Anonymous – would do them wonders – and remember, 90 meetings in 90 days! (that would get us just past the elections!)
- We admitted we were powerless over the Obama Narrative—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that only intelligence greater than our emotions could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to being guided by reality as defined by evidence.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to ourselves and to all PUMAs the exact nature of our wrongs – and shouted it from every rooftop, newspaper column, and TV news show.
- Were entirely ready to remove all these defects of character, and to learn the difference between infatuation and real love.
- Humbly asked all PUMAs to forgive us for defacing their property, locking them out of caucuses, allowing Black Panthers to intimidate them from voting, calling them racists, threatening their lives, being total misogynist pigs, stealing Hillary’s delegates, and harassing them online.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all by vowing to start making well-thought-out decisions and thinking before we act.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- Sought through introspection and self-flagellation to improve our conscious contact with the real world - and vowed to feel more pain than we have caused the country to feel.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to non-recovering obots, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
It’s so scary that someone like Obama could be elected. But really, what has long hit me, is that the most frightening thing is that there are so many people in our country who are so… well – capable of being obotted!
Filed under: Uncategorized